Pages

August 5, 2013

Are You A Truthful Actor?

The other day I had a private session with an actor. Upon viewing his work, I asked him what was his goal in the scene he just did. His reply was, “To be truthful”.

I then asked him if he thought he accomplished that goal. With a slight satisfied smile on his face, he told me it felt truthful.

My reply to him was, well, it may have felt truthful to you, the problem is, I don’t believe you and what I as the viewer feels, is often the difference between you getting the job or not. 
Being truthful is a very worthy aim. However, “acting truth” is more than just what you feel.

Although my actor felt truthful, I didn’t believe the truth he was expressing.  
In the video below I talk about the two truths an actor needs to master to achieve deception




Let me know what you think. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts. If you've read my book, Acting Face to Face and you have something you would like to me to talk more about or you just want to make a comment you can leave one here.