Pages

July 13, 2011

Here's something fun - watch Michael Caine's "Art of not blinking..."



Although I think this is an interesting take on whether to blink or not blink as an acting technique, excessive blinking is often a way the body expresses some form of stress. For an actor, the stress can be coming from what they are emotionally creating (as a character) or unable to create (personally). Closing your eyes, or blinking, repeatedly can also be like a mini escape from what is happening. When we lie, we tend to blink more than when we are focused and committed. As an acting coach I see this a lot. When an actor loses focus, the blinking intensifies.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, John; I love it when you comment!

    Also, I wanted to say that I have used a lack of blinking as a technique to make me cry on cue. It works for me, and it played into the tension from the emotion I was working in: fear (eyes widen to reveal more of the whites of your eyes).

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and questions.